Echoes in a Nomad's head

Due to problems with Blogger, I've MOVED! Come visit my new home here

Friday, February 25, 2005

I'm baaaaaack!

Yeppers. I have returned home only slightly worse for wear (more on that later). All in all, it was a good trip (again, more on that later). But I had a "WTF!?!" moment upon my arrival at home this morning. I landed in San Jose about 10:00 am--yes, AM . . . from Florida . . . you want to know what time my plane left, you do the math . . . I'm too friggin' tired right now. Anyway, by the time I got out to my folks' house to pick up my dog and got home, it was about noon. And boy, was I ready for some sack time. So, I let my dog (a Golden Retriever, which is an important detail, as you'll soon discover) into the house, then went back outside to move my truck so I could put my car in the garage. And through the side fence, I see a Golden Retriever staring at me.

Obviously, the first thing that went through my mind was "How the hell did Duncan (my dog) get into the back?!? Oh crap! If the back door's open, I must've gotten robbed!" So, charge back into the house. Where I find Duncan in the kitchen, and the back door closed. Turns out, there's another Golden Retriever in my back yard. Complete with green collar, just like Duncan's, only no ID tag. I've guessing that at some point during the week, one of my neighbors spotted this stray Golden and assumed it was mine, so (somehow) got him into my back yard.

So yeah, instead of getting to rack out and catch up on the ZZZZ's, I was dealing with two hyperactive Golden's who wanted nothing more than to playplayplayplayplay. I did a quick wander in the neighborhood, then called the local animal shelter to see if anyone had reported a missing Golden. Fortunately, they put me and the dog's rightfull owner in contact pretty quick, and the poor little stranger is currently back home with his family. Hopefully he's all okay . . . he seemed to be happy and healthy, but was definitely thirstier than can be imagined. He went missing last Tuesday according to the owner, so he may have been cooped up in my back yard with no food or water for a few days.

But, yeah, it's a strange thing to come home from a vacation to find that you're suddenly confronted with a virtual clone of your rambuctious, hyperactive, goofy, spastic dog, with no idea where it came from. And of course, I'm still trying to figure out how they got a 70-pound dog over the 6' fence in the first place . . .

2 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM PST, Blogger letti said…

    welcome back~! We found a blue heeler at david's niece's place and because he had a collar and the niece's husband was being really rough with the dog, we decided to bring her home and put an ad in the paper. no one claimed her...and now she's had puppies!!!!

     
  • At 1:37 PM PST, Blogger Arethusa said…

    Awwww, I'm glad that y'all found his owner quickly at least.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home