Echoes in a Nomad's head

Due to problems with Blogger, I've MOVED! Come visit my new home here

Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Great Waffler

Apparently my dog is in one of his waffle* moods this morning. Or maybe it's one of his snit moods. I'm not entirely sure. All I know is that he can't seem to make up his mind whether he wants in or out. He'll knock at the back door (yes, my dog actually knocks at doors--instead of barking, like normal dogs, he will tap twice on the door with his left front paw) to go out. So, I'll go open the door and let him into the back yard. And about 3 seconds after I close the door, he'll knock to get back in. And of course, when I open the door and give him a stern look, he prances on into the house like it's no big deal. Just to give you an idea of how frequently he's doing this, I have had to get up in order to let him in or out 4 times since starting to type this entry.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Why continue to indulge the little pest? Put him out and let him stay out. Well, then he'll start making noise. And it's not barking . . . he'll start whining. And crying. And generally make the neighbors believe that I'm torturing him. And if I still don't attend to his needs, he'll start jumping against the door. The sliding glass door. So anyway, yeah, I'm a pushover. I wonder how much of a door mat I'll become if I ever have kids. BTW, add 2 more to the "get up to open the door" list since beginning to type this.

*I use the term "waffling" a lot, but never could figure how it came about. I mean, I know what a waffle is, but how it relates describing a "flip-flop" mind set, I don't know. Anyone care to elaborate?

Oh, 1 more door opening.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM PST, Blogger darkhawk said…

    lol. In my house my dog has a bell hooked to the doorknob and he rings it. Yes he rings the bell and gets to go out. I always feel like I'm the dog's maid.
    He also will begin to make 'noises' if I refuse to answer the bell.
    lol. Who owns who, eh?

     
  • At 4:00 PM PST, Blogger DementedPhotographer said…

    My neighbor's dog figured out that if he jumps on the sliding glass door just right he can open it himself. So, he leaves the door unlocked so the dog can come and go as he wants ...

    ... too bad the dog never CLOSES the door behind him!

    -G

     
  • At 3:15 AM PST, Blogger Ms Mac said…

    Hello Phil. I used to have a dog that would tap dance along the windowsill to get my attention to let her in. Not really but my friend asked once if that was what she was doing while making all that noise and we laughed like drains about it.

    Speaking of laughing like a drain, you made me do so again while you were casting aspersions on my bangers'n'mash- cheeky boy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home