Echoes in a Nomad's head

Due to problems with Blogger, I've MOVED! Come visit my new home here

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Bloated ego

I had no intention of watching the Presidential Innaugeration at all. It's all just a bunch of pomp & circumstance and waste of taxpayer money, IMO. But, I did actually catch about 5 minutes of things by accident. And I found it utterly amazing how large Bush's ego has gotten. Don't get me wrong . . . I've known he was an egomaniac ever since he claimed it was God's will that he be President after September 11. But, there he was on TV, sitting with his family. And after apparently making the 100,000 or so people gathered there wait in the cold for several hours beyond the scheduled start time, Bush was (according to reporters) getting impatient that the parade hadn't started. So, I guess he wasn't so impatient that he wanted to get to things on time . . . nah, it's okay that he's a couple hours late. But how dare they keep him waiting! I guess he expected everyone to stand in the "ready" position, waiting anxiously for his overdue arrival so that they could start on a moment's notice.

Now, granted, it is not uncommon for Presidents to be late for this sort of thing. When my brother's high school band went back east for Clinton's innaugeration, it was a similar deal. They waited for a few hours in the cold as well. But my point is, Clinton didn't get impatient about it. At least, not to the point where it was obvious that he was getting ancey. Maybe if Bush wants things to move along quickly and according to schedule, he should make an effort to keep to the schedule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home