Echoes in a Nomad's head

Due to problems with Blogger, I've MOVED! Come visit my new home here

Friday, January 14, 2005

Aliases

I've pretty much been a fan of Alias since the premier episode. About the only time I "strayed" was during the whole Rambaldi thing . . . just got too mystic & supernatural for my tastes. So, anyway, I was understandably in anticipation when the new season started a couple weeks ago. But I gotta say, I was a bit disappointed. And after this past Wednesday's episode, even more so. The opening scene of the season premier was done simply to have Jennifer Garner strut around in sexy lingerie. Now don't get me wrong . . . seeing Jennifer Garner strut around in sexy lingerie is a pleasant thing. But that's not the reason I enjoy the show (well, okay, not the main reason). I like the show because of the quality acting, intriguing story, and cool action. And when they start putting more of an emphasis on Ms. Garner's body than on the story, it just cheapens the whole show. And in this case, that's all it was. There was no need for the opening sequence. None. Especially since they showed it again (well, portions of it) later in the show. They easily could have opened with the chase sequence that followed. Actually, that would have been a better opening, from a story stand-point.

The other problem I've got with the new season so far is that it has now been 2 episodes in a row where Sydney (Garner's character) is captured, then rescued by her sister. I have a big problem with the capture bits, because Syd is a kick-ass, and they gloss over the capture. In both cases, she is "instantly" captured, as if she didn't even put up a fight, but the capture itself isn't shown. I say "instantly" because in both cases help was on-scene within moments, so her entire capture and spiritting away must have been accomplished within a minute or two. Then there's the whole Nadia issue. From what I recall, Nadia (Syd's half-sister) is brand new to the spy world. Yet she's apparently got all the skills necessary to be a top-notch agent and even save the life of her sister, who has years of experience and training . . . twice in a row! I have a feeling that the producers are doing this because they plan on having both Syd and Nadia strutting around in skimpy, sexy outfits on a frequent basis, in order to draw more of the sex-craved ogglers. Hopefully, the series will get back to its roots, and focus on solid, intriguing story lines.

And, speaking of Ms. Garner, Elektra opens today. Gonna have to go see it. Originally, I figured this would be a DVD rental for me, since I couldn't even sit through an entire viewing of Daredevil. But, since the Serenity trailer is supposed to be premiering with it, I guess I'll just have to find my way to a theater today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home