Echoes in a Nomad's head

Due to problems with Blogger, I've MOVED! Come visit my new home here

Monday, September 06, 2004

So Long, And Thanks For The Memories

Well, a few days ago, it was made official. Rusty Wallace, driver of the #2 Miller Lite Dodge in NASCAR's Winston Cup (sorry Nextel, it'll always be the Winston Cup to me) announced he'll be retiring after the 2005 season. Now, admittedly, my interest in NASCAR has wanned quite a bit in recent times. As a matter of fact, this is the first time in several years that I have not attended a race live, and have only watched 1-2 races in their entirety. In truth, I haven't even cared that I completely missed most of the races this season. Lots of b.s. changes on NASCAR's part (most noteably the completely idiotic Chase for the Championship points change) have really alienated this fan.

But, I digress. I've been a Rusty fan since the 1993 season, based in no small part on his tributes to Alan Kulwicki and Davey Allison (both of whome were tragically taken from us that year). Rusty's hard-racing style, no-nonsense commentary and genuine love of the sport. And of course, his traditional dominance on the short tracks (my favorite) helped a lot.

Anywho, Rusty's announcement means two things for me. First, it's a bit of a sad day. Like I said, I'm a Rusty fan. He's been a fabulous spokesman and great racer, bringing a lot to the sport. Plus, it's always a tad saddening when one of the better "old-timers" leaves. I felt the same way about Bill Elliott's retirement. And would feel the same if it were Mark Martin, Terry Labonte or a host of others choosing to leave. But, I suppose that's just a part of life. The bad news for NASCAR (yeah, right--like they care) is that after the 2005 season, I truly will not have hardly any reason to support their sport. It is, essentially, the final call . . . the last interest.

Secondly, is the part that NASCAR will probably like (as much as they can like the response of one single fan). It means that I definitely will have to pay attention to the 2005 season. Watch as many races as I can. And, most likely, attend at least 1-2 races live, just to see Rusty on the track one last time.

Again, I guess it's a part of life. But despite the sorrow I feel at seeing such a great driver hang up his helmet, I'm happy for Rusty. He's had a great career, brought a ton of entertainment to fans like me and accomplished many great things in the sport. So, thank you, Rusty. It's been fun. And it won't be the same watching a race without seeing you on the track.


Rusty at Phoenix 2002 Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home