Echoes in a Nomad's head

Due to problems with Blogger, I've MOVED! Come visit my new home here

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Summer Blockbusters Are Upon Us

Well, it certainly looks like I'm going to have to hit the theaters more than a few times in the coming weeks. Spiderman 2 opens Wednesday (as if anyone could possibly not have already known that, considering the amount of advertising they're doing). And it just plain looks awesome. I never really followed the Spidey comics, but know enough about his story to be interested, and absolutely loved the first one. Based on the commercials, I have my doubts that the sequel is truly going to be better than the original, but it still looks pretty darn good, and worth the time.

As mentioned in a previous blog entry, there's a new King Arthur flick coming out in another couple weeks, too. That obviously will warrant a viewing. Did I mention that the incredibly lovely Keira Knightley is in it? And, while I've never been a huge Azimov fan, nor did I ever read the book the title is gleaned from, I, Robot opens a week or so later. Will Smith in an action/sci-fi flick . . . how can it go wrong?

Then there's Fahrenheit 9/11, which opened a couple days ago. I originally had no intention of seeing this film. My basic reasoning was that if I'm going to hand my hard-earned money cash to Hollywood, I'm going to do it for the entertainment value . . . if Michael Moore really felt strongly that everyone should see this work, then why not put onto broadcast TV? But, the neo-cons have been so vocal about this film, hurling insults and attacks (including a nation-wide movement trying to intimidate theaters into refusing to show it, even going so far as death threats) that I can't help but wonder what they're all so afraid of. In all the denouncements of the movie that I've read (mostly written by rather opinionated fools who haven't even seen the film) none of them have disputed the actual facts presented. They all simply launch into tyrades against Moore, wildly throw around the word "lies" (without giving specifics or examples) and try to intimidate viewers into not seeing it. So, it's intrigued me . . . and at this point there is a very good chance I'll attend a viewing. I suppose Moore should thank his opponents for all the free publicity he's given his film

I still haven't gotten around to seeing Shrek 2, which I'd really like to see. Looks absolutely hilarious, as was the first. Same thing with the latest Harry Potter installment (though I'd hardly refer to them as "absolutely hilarious").

Haven't seen any trailers for it yet, but The Bourne Supremacy is due out in late July. Based on the first film, this one should be pretty enjoyable. And of course, who would be able to resist Halle Berry in tight leather as Catwoman? I've been really impressed with M. Night Shyamalan's previous works--atypical & intriguing--so The Village should warrant be worth the time and money.

So, while I'm going to have the time flexibility to check out this films (did I mention that I'm on short time at work? Just one more week--whoo hoo!!!), the funding situation might throw a monkey wrench into things. But, I'll just have to worry about that later, after all the movie-going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home