Echoes in a Nomad's head

Due to problems with Blogger, I've MOVED! Come visit my new home here

Saturday, March 06, 2004

I didn't want to know

For lack of anything better to do, I caught an airing of "I Know What You Did Last Summer" on TV this morning. How this movie was ever considered good, or at least good enough to spawn a sequel, I will never know. I guess there were enough teenie-boppers flocking to the box office in order to slobber over Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Love Hewitt in tank tops to impress the movie makers. I guess I've just never really been one for the mindless hacker flicks . . . I want my movies to make at least some sense. What ever happened to the real horror films that scared the bejeezes out of people? The ones that were frightening not because they spent a million dollars on fake blood and gore, but because of the psychological impact they had. Movies like "The Shining", "Amittyville Horror" or "Poltergeist". Sure, the blatant in-your-face and shock-value gore has its place, but it seems that this is the only kind of "horror" we see in films nowadays. And I don't know about y'all, but the whole "young, nubile, naive college students who lack common sense getting hacked on one-by-one by a mysterious unstoppable killer who will again haunt them (or their virtual clones) in a sequel" plot hasn't been even remotely entertaining to me since, oh, the original "Friday the 13th".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home